Monday, January 31, 2011

The Message in the Rain


I know I’m a bit of a fanatic but I decided to go out for my daily walk today, despite the pouring rain. I really love the rain (which we desperately need) and I needed the walk, so what could be better? It’s only water, after all. Yesterday I was caught in a downpour and came home drenched, but I had a great time in the process. Unusual things make me happy these days….


I ventured out with my boots, coat, scarf and an umbrella in hand. As I started walking, the rain intensified and began coming down in torrents.  Rather than return to the comfort of home, I kept plowing along, enjoying every second of it. I actually tried to begin some hitbodedut (personal prayer) but I couldn’t get past an idea which was taking form in my mind. The intense rain and the current news were so conjoined it was flashing before me like a beacon of light. To sum up the events of the past few days in a few sentences is not simple, but I will give my take on it in condensed form. Basically, Islamic radical groups, being egged on by Iran, have been stirring up trouble in all the Arab countries surrounding Israel. First, Lebanon was taken over by Hezbollah and now Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak is being pushed from power by mobs of wild protesters, anxious to overthrow his government. As of today, he is still holding his own, but it’s only a matter of time. The same chaos it threatening Jordan, but so far it is just a taunt. From what I have read, there is a possibility that even Syria may be provoked by the same hooligans, controlled like puppets by Iran’s Ahmadinejad. Twitter, Facebook and Al Jazeera win prizes for spreading the word in record time to the maximum number of followers, all haters of Israel who pray for our destruction.

And then there is the rain; beautiful, torrential and miraculous rain. It is said that rain is a blessing from HaShem. He will only provide rains for our land “If you walk in my statutes and observe my commandments and do them, then I will give your rains in their season, and the land shall yield her produce, and the trees of the field shall yield their fruit. Your threshing shall last to the time of the grape harvest, and the grape harvest shall last to the time for sowing. And you shall eat your bread to the full and dwell in your land securely. I will give peace in the land (Leviticus 26: 3-6)

I know that a good majority of our People do not abide by what is written above, observing the commandments as we are required to do, but I also know that we do not understand the ways of HaShem, nor the balance of Justice in the Heavenly Courts. These rains that are saturating our parched land are a sure sign that G-d loves us. I believe that He is sending us this blessing as a message to those that can ‘see’ it. He is telling us not to worry. Our Father in Heaven will take care of us and provide for us, despite what is happening on all sides of our borders. No man, no nation nor any missile can hurt us as long as we trust in HaShem for He is our true Protector. The sooner everyone wakes up and sees this truth the better, for  it’s only a matter of time..... 

4 comments:

  1. Chaya, you are such an articulate writer!

    I think it may be easier for those of us in Eretz Yisrael to see the truth of these words, because we're living it firsthand. Walking the dogs yesterday in one of those torrential downpours, I could also feel Hashem's love for us. In the US, where they are being hit with one snowstorm and ice storm after another, the concern is basically how many more days of school are the kids going to miss and how will I ever dig out my car to get to work. Even the frummies have lost track of the meaning of Hashem's messages. May we always merit to see them and feel them and receive comfort from them, in spite of what goes on in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rain, in its proper season, is a blessing in Israel (it isn't a blessing always). The world as a whole is going through instability. The snow in the USA is just another aspect of that instability. G-d is saying I'm in charge and we are going to do it MY way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chaya, so beautiful and so true. Israel is the only place in the world that when it rains we don't complain but we say B"H thank-you! A couple of years ago,I wrote a poem pleading for rain....

    RAIN
    The wind is blowing
    The sky is dark.
    It looks like rain.
    Anxiously, we wait
    for the rain is needed.
    The ground is dry.
    The trees hang over
    desperately wanting to drink.
    Fire burns everywhere.
    Our precious land is being destroyed.
    Oh rain, where are you?
    We pray for rain
    We need to be granted this Bracha.
    Hashem, please listen to our pleads.
    Oh rain, where are you?
    The dark sky lights up with lightning.
    The quiet is broken from thunder.
    It’s raining, it’s raining, it’s raining!
    Baruch Hashem, our prayers were answered.
    May we be granted a plentiful rainy season.

    ReplyDelete